DJ Lucas wrote:
> Taken from cross-lfs:
>
> sed -i 's@\(^#define DEFAULT_EDITOR_PROGRAM \).*@\1"vi"@' lib/config.h
>

> Any reason not to do this in LFS?

I have never seen the use of an editor in diffutils, but I learn new
stuff all the time.  The only place DEFAULT_EDITOR_PROGRAM is in the
code is sdiff.

After some looking, I found Section 2.5.1 in the diffutils info page
about 'ed' scripts.

"`diff' can produce commands that direct the `ed' text editor to change
the first file into the second file.  Long ago, this was the only
output mode that was suitable for editing one file into another
automatically; today, with `patch', it is almost obsolete.  Use the
`--ed' (`-e') option to select this output format."

It looks like diffutils uses 'ed' to produce old style scripts.  I have
no idea if changing 'ed' to 'vi' will break this obsolete functionality
or not, but it might.

If the change is made, then it needs to be tested and the info page
updated.  I don't think it's worth the effort.

   -- Bruce