DJ Lucas wrote:
> On 09/05/2011 07:48 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> DJ Lucas wrote:

>>> Get rid of boot_mesg all together. This was left over from a mixed
>>> results attempt at international messages and long display output
>>> (and line wrapping). As James mentioned the other day, it has long
>>> since been abandoned by all of us involved with adding it. Both the
>>> echo binary and the bash built-in support the -e flag. We can choose
>>> /bin/bash for the schebang in the scripts, or just use /bin/echo. The
>>> built-in is faster, but we can guarantee that /bin/echo has the
>>> needed functionality if the /bin/sh symlink is changed. Personally, I
>>> prefer the /bin/bash schebang, but really no technical argument
>>> either way.

>> I prefer /bin/bash too, but left everything as /bin/sh (and used
>> non-bash constructs).  I think there may be a problem if a non-LFS
>> script uses /bin/sh and the functions use /bin/bash.
>>
>> I agree that we can guarantee echo -e works and let the shell decide to
>> use a builtin or /bin/echo.

> Get rid of echo_*() and friends and just use print_*_msg() in these
> cases. Handle boot logging in the print_*_msg() functions as per the LSB
> spec (framework is already there if the LSB functions are copied directly).

Cutting this down to a single issue for a more focused discussion.  We
can discuss other issues in separate posts.

I'm not sure how to translate boot_mesg into echo_*() and friends.  For
example, let's take checkfs.  The LSB version has:

if [ -f /fastboot ]; then
    echo "${INFO}/fastboot found!"
    log_success_msg "Will not perform file system checks as requested."
    exit 0
fi

This doesn't support logging.  I suppose this could be changed to
something like:

   MESSAGE="${INFO}/fastboot found!\n"
   log_success_msg "${MESSAGE} Will not perform file system checks as
requested."

We can still use the new wait_for_user() lfs function where needed.  I
note that the current log_*_msg() functions don't yet use the MESSAGE
variable.

I did add log_skipped_msg(), primarily for network use, but perhaps we
need a log_info_msg() too.  If we do that, I don't think we need to use
a MESSAGE variable.  I don't see MESSAGE as a part of the LSB spec.

Comments?

   -- Bruce