On 03/10/12 05:23, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Lemon Lime wrote:
>
>> Seeing that some packages in LFS require pkg-config to build,
>
> Nothing *requires* pkg-config.  It can always be worked around with the
> appropriate environment variables.  After all, that's what it does: set
> appropriate environment variables.
>
> The reason we dropped pkg-config in LFS is that it requires glib.
> Unfortunately, glib requires libffi and python and can use pcre, attr,
> d-bus, and gtk-doc.  Additionally *glib* wants to use pkg-config too.
>
> python uses pkg-config (a circular dependency), openssl, tk (another
> circular dependency), openssl, berkeley-db, and sqlite.  There are other
> dependencies when looking at these packages.
>
> This is too much for LFS just to avoid setting a few environment
> variables, so it is addressed in BLFS.

Exactly. That's why I think an alternative implementation, which does
not pull in any dependencies, can be useful. Just a single file that you
need to put somewhere in your PATH. I used it to build glib and python,
and a few other BLFS packages. I also intend to use it from now on
exclusively, in place of the standard pkg-config.

There is nothing wrong with the current solution, it just looks a little
bit ugly, and may require some extra maintenance. Perhaps BLFS is more
appropriate for this type of thing, but if you use it in BLFS, I don't
see why you wouldn't want to use it right from the beginning.