On 11/27/2011 04:05 AM, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 22:19:59 -0600, DJ Lucas<d...@linuxfromscratch.org>
> wrote:

>>> Scratch that...bad troubleshooting, forgot to put the symlink back.
>>> Something is broken in gettext-tools/configure. Looking into it now.
>>>
>> This is related to having /usr/bin/emacs ->  zile symlink on x86_64 (does
>> not affect 32bit builds). Bug has aparently been there for a very long
>> time. Workaround is 'EMACS="no" ./configure ...' Not sure how gentoo
>> handles this internally. Suitable for the book, or just blacklist x86_64
>> Gentoo as a suitable host? I've been using the Gentoo Live DVD for x86
>> builds for a while now (and I used to use System Rescue CD, which I've
>> seen mentioned a few times), but this was first build on x86_64. Anybody
>> have GNU Zile on some other x86_64 host that can double check this?
> Thanks for the report, DJ.  I can't double-check myself as I build on x86
> still.  However, your analysis looks fine, and the simple workaround of
> setting
> EMACS=no is certainly suitable for the book (far more suitable than
> blacklisting
> an entire distribution).
>
> I'll add it to the book during the next round of updates.
>
> Thanks,

Whoops..forgotten. I expected a fresh LFS system and instead was greeted
with a 233 minutes of build time for chapter 5 gettext using the Gentoo
Live DVD as a host distribution. The 'EMACS="no" ./configure ...'
workaround still solves this. The '--without-emacs' switch does _not_ as
the configure check is done out of order (fixed upstream at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gettext/2011-11/msg00016.html ).

-- DJ Lucas