On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 09:51:23PM +0100, Matt Burgess wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 17:35 +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 01:26:34PM +0800, xinglp wrote:
> > > I got it. We need to sed configure.ac instead of configure.
> > > configure was regenerated after ./configure ....
> >
> > Doh!  Sometimes I'm a slow learner
>
> You and me both, evidentally...
>
> > : Bryan explained this a little
> > while ago.  In this case, sedding configure.ac and then manually
> > running autoreconf seems better
>
> Why is sedding configure not enough?  I don't doubt it isn't, but can't
> think why.  My understanding is that configure.ac is used as input to
> generate configure.  Therefore, whatever Makefile rules are in place to
> regenerate configure should be triggered if configure.ac has a
> modification time later than configure.  By sedding configure, you
> ensure that isn't the case and therefore the rebuild rules shouldn't be
> triggered, right?

 Well, Bryan explained some of the details earlier this month
(autotooled Makefiles contain tests to see if things changed, and run
various commands as-necessary).  I didn't interpret that as
regenerating configure in this case, but I was wrong - that might be
a change with newer autotools.  Probably the key is that we're also
changing Makefile.in to get rid of the manpage.

> Anyway, thanks for fixing this, Ken.  Is this suitable for submission
> upstream so we don't have to carry it around for too long?

 Actually, I think my explanation (assuming it's correct) is
useful ;) [ cue people picking holes in it ]

 I know upstream has a different change to configure (it will create
resizecons on x86_64).  Last time I looked, OpenSuse had an open
ticket for resizecons not working on x86_64 because the necessary
files created by svgalib were not present, although included on
i?86.  Many distros still seem to package svgalib, so I'm not
convinced that everyone accepts it should just die.

 Therefore, I doubt upstream will take it.

ĸen