I am wondering about making a change to LFS to combine some of the root
directories and /usr.  Looking at the sizes on a fairly complete system:

22M     /lib
4.9M    /bin
7.6M    /sbin
1.4G    /usr/lib
300M    /usr/bin
15M     /usr/sbin

It seems like the space needed for /usr is really not that much.
(Disclaimer:  I have multiple versions of gnome, kde, qt, jdk, and xorg
on /opt that takes about 11 G)

What I was thinking about doing was changing Section 6.5 - Creating
Directories from

mkdir -pv /{bin,boot,etc/{opt,sysconfig},home,lib,mnt,opt,run}
mkdir -pv /{media/{floppy,cdrom},sbin,srv,var}

mkdir -pv /{boot,etc/{opt,sysconfig},home,mnt,opt,run}
mkdir -pv /{media/{floppy,cdrom},srv,var}

... (create /usr hierarchy)

ln -sv  /usr/bin  /bin
ln -sv  /usr/lib  /lib
ln -sv  /usr/sbin /sbin

case $(uname -m) in
  x86_64) ln -sv /usr/lib /lib64 && ln -sv lib /usr/lib64 ;;
esac

As far as I can tell, everything should work as before, but we can
remove some of the things we do to move files and libraries from /usr to
/.   The restriction, of course, is that /usr must be a part of the
rootfs, but a recommended size for that could be 20G and not really
affect anything.

-----

While I'm at it, should we remove *.la files in the libraries:

find /usr/lib -name \*.la -delete

We can add that to Section 6.64 - Stripping Again.  What I've found is
that I get a lot of warning messages and sometimes failures when
packages try to use the .la files, but just removing them seems to fix
things up without causing other problems.

Opinions?

   -- Bruce