On Feb 2, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Constantinos wrote:

LFS book in chapter 5 Contructing a Temporary System and section 5.33 Striping says that "Take care not to use --strip-unneeded on the libraries. The static ones would be destroyed and the toolchain packages would need to be built all over again"

according to this article http://www.technovelty.org/linux/stripping-shared-libraries.html --strip-unneded option is save to perform on static libraries(and share ones).

I also took the time and made a "strip --strip-unneeded" on a static library and it was linked fine. --strip-unneeded was smart enough not to destroy the library
unlike --strip-all option.

There is already a thread about this which I recall from August:

Sincerely,

William Harrington