On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 03:29:23PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> The problem is that the location of the locale files ends up being
> embedded in the executable.
>
> bindtextdomain(PACKAGE_NAME, LOCALEDIR);
>
> Where src/nls.h has
>
> #ifndef LOCALEDIR
> #define LOCALEDIR "/usr/share/locale"
> #endif
>
> but po/Makefile.in.in ignores it
>
> datadir = @datadir@
> localedir = $(datadir)/locale
> gettextsrcdir = $(datadir)/gettext/po
>
> Changing @datadir@ to @localedir@ there and using:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --datadir=/lib/kbd   --disable-vlock
> localedir=/usr/share
>
> seems to do the right thing.
>
> Ken, You do the most with kbd.  Can you confirm?
>
>    -- Bruce

 I'll add it to my ToDo list - I'm not ready to build a fresh system
at the moment, but I can do a DESTDIR some time in the next few days
to confirm the need for the sed, and then update kbd in an existing
system.

 Who knows, I might even find some other example command invocations
to get some different messages out :)

ĸen