I've been looking at systemd and had a thought that perhaps both could
be put into a single LFS build.  Looking at the installed package
contents in the books, I see the following name collisions:

systemd  sysvinit eudev
                   udevd
udevadm           udevadm
halt     halt
init     init
poweroff poweroff
reboot   reboot
runlevel runlevel
shutdown shutdown
telinit  telinit

I don't know if udevd is missing from the systemd page or is really not
installed when doing a systemd build, but I suspect it has just been
omitted from the page.

In any case, this cursory look indicates to me that both could be
installed with custom names and a script written to swap the names and
reboot to the desired system.  I also suspect a sysV initialization
could use the systemd version of udev and eudev would not be necessary.

I have not looked at boot scripts or possibly different build options in
other programs, but wanted to throw out the idea for comments.

   -- Bruce