On 07/13/2018 07:09 AM, Ryan Marsaw wrote:
Hello LFSers.

Long time no speak.

In Chapter 6.6 (Creating Essential Files and Symlinks) some changes were
made to allow E2fsprogs to build without using environment variables.
One of these changes was to create symbolic links for blkid, libmount
and uuid.

The problem with creating the symlinks is that when the /tools directory
is removed later on (and/or the user reenters the chroot environment
without the /tools directory in the PATH) there is now dangling symlinks
for /usr/include/{blkid,libmount,uuid}, and of course their respective
header files are now non-existent.

That in itself doesn't appear to cause issues with LFS, but in BLFS (at
least for Fontconfig) there is now a complaint about missing headers
(uuid.h if I'm not mistaken).

I suggest that, before building util-linux in chapter 6 (but after
installing e2fsprogs of course) we should remove the symbolic links
/usr/include/{blkid,libmount,uuid}.  This will allow util-linux to
install the headers directly to /usr/include.

You are right. I expected those symlinks to be removed when util-linux was installed, but mkdir -p does not do that.

I'll add

rm -v /usr/include/{uuid,blkid,libmount}

to the util-linux page.

  -- Bruce