On 01/08/2019 11:16 PM, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
On 01/08/2019 08:52 PM, Ken Moffat via lfs-dev wrote:
On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 09:18:36PM -0500, Jean-Marc Pigeon via lfs-dev
wrote:
Hello,

Redone all chapter 6 with elfutils-0.173
(all things equal otherwise)
Kernel compilation is now OK.

According:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/61151

Bug is in binutils, patch have been applied on git
but there is no binutils-2.31.2 (as fare I can see).

My proposal is to have SVN to back track to elfutils-0.173
waiting for binutils next official release.

comments?

On the system where I most recently built LFS (but back in late
November) I have elfutils-0.175 and binutils-2.31.1

I successfully built, and booted, both the 4.19.3 amd 4.20.0 kernels
on that machine (as well as a 4.20-rc), using - as normal - the
original kernel headers which were 4.19.3.  Too busy to try 5.0-rc1.

Looking at my scripts, for elfutils I currently ensure that my
CFLAGS include '-g' (yeughh - my main purpose with CFLAGS is to
strip debug info to save space since I'm rubbish as using gdb ;)
and I assume that the book builds without specifying CFLAGS.  Maybe
that is related, maybe it is a lingering result of some previous
problem.

On all my previous systems, including 8.3, I have not seen any
reason to update elfutils or binutils, so only that one system uses
0.175.

I don't have any objection to reverting to an older version of a
package (currently using an older psutils), but at the moment I
don't think one "doesn't build for me" (when it presumably did build
for whoever updated those packages) is a persuasive reason.

I cannot duplicate the problem.

tar -xf linux-4.19.12.tar.xz
cd linux-4.19.12
cp /boot/config-4.18.5 .config
make oldconfig
make
make modules_install

worked without problem.

# CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is not set

Changing that to =y and running make caused the system to ask about
couple of other DEBUG options (I took the defaults), but otherwise there
were no reported problems.

   -- Bruce

I agree
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO
is the critical parameter for kernel problem

Tomorrow I shall full redo chapter 6 again with 0.175.
and double check....

What "worry" me is not the kernel compilation problem as such,
but rather an indication about objdump malfunction....
objdump is a binutil tool... (should be working).

--

A bientôt
Jean-Marc Pigeon                        E-Mail: j...@safe.ca