On 4/12/2019 7:47 AM, Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev wrote:
On 12/04/2019 12:37, DJ Lucas via lfs-dev wrote:

Comparison does not work anymore because of some randomization in code generation... Maybe, It could be disabled by some switch, though. We may look at what is done for comparing the second and third build of gcc at the end of a bootstrap.

No, you can't do direct 1:1 comparisons, but you can still compare them using other tools and attributes. You can't guarantee that they are identical (they aren't), but you should be able to glean reasonable assurance that they are functionally equivalent by maybe comparing the symbol table for executables, and using a tool like abidiff for libraries (shot in the dark, I haven't actually verified either is a viable test case).

I'm sure there are lots of holes in the above being that I woke with it, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. I think that ticks off all of the boxes identified in the earlier thread without introducing more exotic flags, or even existing hacks we currently use for the toolchain. Thoughts?

It is certainly worth trying, but who will be able to find the time for doing this? I'm working steadily towards a complete jhalfs automated LFS/BLFS (some kind of reference build), trying not to ask my fellow editors to modify their habits, and it takes almost all my free time.

You are absolutely right, I think Ken was alluding to the same. We need new blood to go and experiment. Look at the changes Xi has put in, has caught me depending on old assumptions more than once. Jeremy coming back to assist with JHALFS in whatever capacity he sees fit. More capable eyes are just plain helpful. Just putting the ideas out there for now, maybe somebody finds it worth the time, maybe even somebody outside of the core devs will find it an interesting experiment...or not. :-/

--DJ