On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 3:22 AM Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev
<lfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> >> Yes and yes.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't understand how it's a hard requirement. Especially
> > since you also said later "it's just an advisory".  I'm not intending
> > to argue, I'd just like to understand.
> >
> > Anyway, here's a version of that script which will actually exit with
> > an error status if any requirements aren't met:
> > https://gist.github.com/jhuntwork/e57571e3cbe78d970c6edeee5e42d36b I
> > tried to make it easy to read and amend. Feel free to use it if you
> > like, or ignore it if you don't.
> >

> I think the problem is (1):
> - debian symlinks /bin/sh->dash out of the box (looks like ubuntu does the
> same)
> - dash in debian is (1) an old version, and the maintainer of dash for debian
> does (or did) not want to update to a more recent version. That outdated
> version is not fully POSIX compatible
> - packages using /bin/sh expect it to be fully POSIX compatible, and sometimes
> break when using the old debian /bin/dash.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you. So it's not that one of the packages
is expecting bash functionality when using scripts with '/bin/sh'
(bash is supposed to limit itself to POSIX anyway when called like
that) but there was (once upon a time?) a broken '/bin/sh' that
shipped with a popular distro.

> Now, I've inadvertently built LFS several times with /bin/sh->dash (it's not
> tested in jhalfs...), and the build was successful...

Good to know, thanks! That is what I suspected as well.

JH