On 4/23/19 12:24 AM, Thomas Trepl via lfs-dev wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 23.04.2019, 04:09 +0100 schrieb Ken Moffat via lfs-
dev:
On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 10:59:04PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
I was looking through my logs to identify which packages do not use
my CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS (thinking about trying LTO at some point) and
reading the voluminous output from perl's Configure I noticed:

Guessing which symbols your C compiler and preprocessor define...
You seem not to have gcc 4.* or later, not adding -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE.

That is because 5.28.1 has the following:

case "$gccversion" in
[4567].*)       case "$optimize$ccflags" in

Using
  sed -i 's/^\(\[4567\)/\18/' Configure
gives me

Guessing which symbols your C compiler and preprocessor define...
Adding -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 to ccflags...

ĸen

This still applies to 5.28.2.  I guess that distros such as fedora
and Arch have not reported this upstream because they *always* force
their own CFLAGS which include a -DFORTIFY_SOURCE setting.

Is there a reason why we won't add that sed to the book?

Inertia plus we just found out about it.

sed -i 's/67]/6789]/' Configure

ought to do it.  I'll do that today.

  -- Bruce