On 13/05/2019 15:50, Pyry Kontio via lfs-dev wrote:
Hi, and thanks for the wonderful book.

I'm trying to follow the standard LFS track, but I ran problems with
the GCC test suite in Chapter 6
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/gcc.html)
-- I get a massive amount of failed results.

I tried to report a bug using your tracker system, but even after
creating an account, I'm unable to create new tickets, so I'm sending
the report to this mailing list. Pardon me if it's the wrong one for
these kinds of reports.

Looking into it a bit, the problem seems to be that the book suggests
running the test suite as user nobody:

su nobody -s /bin/bash -c "PATH=$PATH make -k check"
The problem becomes clear when running some failing test suite in
verbose mode:

runtest -v --tool gcc gcc.c-torture/compile/compile.exp
It can't create ptys. Double-checking:

expect -c "spawn ls"
...fails although it succeeded when originally ran when building
Binutils.

The problem seems to be that the file /dev/pts/ptmx that was created
when mounting devpts filesystem in 6.2
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/kernfs.html)
and is symlinked from /dev/ptmx on modern systems, has zero
permissions by default. This makes creating ptys with non-root
permissions fail. Some distros like Debian 9 set the system default
/dev/pts/ptmx to have permissions 0666. Indeed, setting it to have
those permissions will allow the nobody user to run the GCC test suite
successfully.

Maybe an additional step could be added to chapter 6.2 to ensure that
/dev/pts/ptmx is set to have sensible permissions?

Hi,
You used the right list. I think you have to wait for approval from Bruce Dubbs for being able to report a bug.

What is your distribution? On both debian 9 and debian unstable, they have:
$ ls -l /dev/{,pts/}ptmx
crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty  5, 2 mai   13 16:42 /dev/ptmx
c--------- 1 root root 5, 2 mai   11 16:10 /dev/pts/ptmx

and same on openSUSE Tumbleweed (20190402)
On these two distros, the gcc tests have no problem when run as per the book.

So the check you propose could be done, but I cannot test how to fix it...

Pierre