In "6.4 Entering the Chroot Environment", we have:
--------
From this point on, there is no need to use the LFS variable anymore, because
all work will be restricted to the LFS file system. This is because the Bash
shell is told that $LFS is now the root (/) directory.
--------
But it is not true that the bash shell is told anything: the _kernel_ is told
that $LFS is now the root (/) directory for all the processes launched by the
first one (that is, here, "env", which itself launches "bash", which will
launch all the others). I am not sure how to phrase this: something like:
-----
... system. This is because the kernel is told that $LFS is now the root (/)
directory for all the programs run from the current Bash shell.
-----
But I'm sure native English writers can find something better (without
excluding non native of course :)

Pierre