On 4/26/20 1:08 PM, Ryan Marsaw via lfs-dev wrote:
On Sun, 26 Apr 2020, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:

On 4/26/20 10:17 AM, Jean-Marc Pigeon via lfs-dev wrote:
Hello,
On Sun, 2020-04-26 at 16:13 +0200, Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev wrote:
On Sun, 2020-04-26 at 09:30 -0400, Jean-Marc Pigeon via lfs-dev
wrote:
Hello,

Working with my (LFS based) server, I got a trouble
with /etc/services (iana port definition), as (just an example)
port 953 (rndc) is not defined.

The LFS /etc/services (extracted from iana-etc-2.30.tar.bz2)
is obviously obsolete (2008).

The last iana-etc (services port definition) is available
from

https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml

last updated 2020-04-07

Problem: that file is an RFC/splitted like, not straigth forward
to convert to /etc/services file.

Questions:
1) Should not LFS use an updated /etc/service definition?

We could try to use the one from below. But there are fairly frequent
updates...

2) could somebody know about an up to date service-names-port-
number
    in tar format location?

Not tried, but found https://github.com/Mic92/iana-etc/releases

Maybe it is just the xml, and then there is a need to run the
update.py
tool (below) on it

3) Is there a "tools" to convert that kind of RFC/human format to
    a plain services file format?

Again, not tried:
https://github.com/Mic92/iana-etc/blob/master/update.py

converts the .xml file to /etc/services

Pierre

Many thanks Pierre, right on the spot.
there is plain ascii files, both services and protocols.

May I (strongly) suggest to have Mic92 iana-etc contribution
to be included within LFS.

Hmm.  Perhaps we should use this and update before each stable release similar to vim.

  -- Bruce

I've been using DJ's iana-etc for quite a while now:
https://github.com/djlucas/iana-etc/releases

I'm actually surprised that this package isn't being used in LFS,
considering DJ's contributions to the LFS project.

$I just grab the latest protocol-numbers.xml and service-names-port-numbers.xml from upstream and let iana-etc take care of the rest.

See http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/4645

I'll do this on Thursday for my normal early month update. Should be available May 1st.

  -- Bruce