Yesterday I built LFS-9.1 (sysvinit not systemd) with /usr
on a separate partition. Localnet failed when I booted. This
is because ip (from iproute2) links to libelf which is in
/usr/lib. Localnet is run before mounting /usr which means
that libelf is unavailable. My quick and easy solution was
to move libelf* from /usr/lib to /lib.

I've just looked at the latest SVN 2020-07-06 and libelf
is still before iproute2 so the above would still happen.
I don't see any configure option in iproute2 to stop the
link to libelf so one solution would be to change the
instructions for installing libelf. If there's a better
way, feel free to use it.
--
Roger