On 9/22/20 2:25 AM, Kevin Buckley via lfs-dev wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 at 14:59, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev
<lfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

On 9/12/20 9:35 PM, Kevin Buckley via lfs-dev wrote:
One of those things you probably only notice if you are doing
a PkgUser type build, as a root build will simply see the file
overwritten without any warning, but wanted to point out that

Chapter 8's TCL installs this manpage

/usr/share/man/man3/Thread.3

and then Perl will also want to install its own version of that file.

The content is different.

I renamed the TCL one, on the assumption that I am more
likely to want to read the Perl one!

Indeed.  I'll add a command to rename that page to Tcl_Thread.3

    -- Bruce

Just came across a "do you want a Tcl manpage or a system one" at
work and, in recalling this thread, noticed that the Tcl manpage was
the one in "n", whilst the system one, in this case, was in 8.

I thought to check what that system made of a "man Thread" and was
offered

  * Thread (3pm)
    thread (n)
Man: What manual page do you want?

Might there be a case for installing all Tcl manpages into the mann
directory?

I think we should keep things as close as possible to what upstream has. Users can always find a particular man page with the apropos command.

  -- Bruce