On 9/25/20 6:06 PM, Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev wrote:
On 9/25/20 10:39 AM, Tim Tassonis via lfs-dev wrote:
Hi all

In 7.14, the book recommends to remove the temporary domumentation, by

rm -rf /usr/share/{info,man,doc}/*

I think the same could be done with the locale files, by

find /usr/share/locale -name "*.mo" -delete

This would save another 70 MB of disk space. I highly doubt anyone would want to perform chapter 8 in a different language, and after that, they all got re-installed.

But what would that really save if the files are going to be immediately replaced in Chapter 8?  I suppose that it might save a little space in the backup tarball if the user is going to create that, but is it a significant amount of space if it is compressed?

About 70 MB, but as the page states that deleting the documentation also only saves about 35 MB, I thought that another 70 MB would be a good idea. However, as the 35 MB are the compressed size, you are right that it would probably only save another 10-15 MB.

If I were going remove the locale files, I would change:

rm -rf /usr/share/{info,man,doc}/*

That would certainly simplify things a lot, I agree.

Bye
Tim