On 11/11/20 3:21 AM, Kevin Buckley via lfs-dev wrote:
I was recently trying to generate a downlaod listing of the packages I had used
when building my Pkguser based 9.1 system, inclduing the BLFS components
that I'd merged into a single book.

FWIW, so as to see what I needed to download from BLFS 10.0

I noticed that in BLFS, where the package download URIs are presented within the
packages section, one ends up with entries akin to  (links/lynx dump output)

* Download (HTTP): https://www.domain.tld/path/to/taball.tar.xz
* Download (FTP): ftp://ftp.domain.tld/path/to/taball.tar.xz

however, in the LFS Book, where all of the package tarball URIs are listed in
the one section, it's just

* Download: https://www.domain.tld/path/to/taball.tar.xz

or, for the odd package,

* Download: ftp://ftp.domain.tld/path/to/taball.tar.xz

I'm aware that there is no reason the LFS and BLS books should exhibit any
consistency, but was wondering if having the LFS Book "adopt" the BLFS
markup might be doable, or rather, if there was anything in way that the
package download listing is generated that might prevent it being done?

The design of LFS is that all the packages are expected to be built. In BLFS, the user chooses what packages to build.

Another issue with LFS is that there are packages only built in the chroot environment. Downloading a package in chroot is not really practical.

Also I'll note that users of the stable book can download everything with a single wget command in Chapter 3.1 or one tarball from ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/lfs/lfs-packages/ or its mirrors.

  -- Bruce