I also am using the tagged-as-a-release 20201110

It turns out that this is the difference: if you grab the tar file from the line that says "source code (tar.gz)" you get a package without the services/protocols files, and the need to run update.py. If you grab the tar file from the line that says iana-etc-20201110.tar.gz - then you get the pre-built protocols and services file.

Are these files typically DIFFERENT? I've not seen that before.

-Joel

On 2020-11-14 06:58, Pierre Labastie via lfs-dev wrote:
On Sat, 2020-11-14 at 06:18 -0800, Joel Bion via lfs-dev wrote:
There's a bit of a mess with protocols/services in the latest builds
from IANA-ETC.

1) They require that Python-3 be installed, because you need to
generate
these files in these latest releases by running a script 'update.py',
instead of just being given them in the release.

2) The Python-3 script has a bug in the use of an obsolete method
name
that needs fixing.

3) The generated services/protocols files are set to permission 600
instead of the proper 644 - which is really annoying, because if
these
permissions are retained (such as in an original copy to /etc, where
the
files do not previously exist) - then programs that are not run as
root
cannot read these files, which means that they get weird errors such
as
'unknown protocol tcp' or 'unknown service this-or-that'. Determining
that the cause of these errors are too-strict permissions on the
protocols and services file is not the easiest thing in the world to
do.

Net-net, here is the little script I wrote to handle this situation:

sed -i 's?getiterator?iter?g' update.py
python3 update.py out
cp -v out/dist/{protocols,services} /etc
chmod -v u+w,a+r /etc/{protocols,services}
ls -l /etc/{protocols,services}

-Joel

Not sure what you are talking about. I've downloaded the latest release
iana-etc-20201110.tar.gz, and the services and protocols files are
present.
It seems that there is a tag 20201019, which only contains the .xml
files and update.py. But this one is not said to be a release.

Pierre