On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 07:18:33PM +0000, Ken Moffat via lfs-dev wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 07:28:33PM +0100, gabriele balducci via lfs-dev wrote:
> > hi
> >
> > > I'm running into a problem with cbindgen-0.16.0 first identified by
> > > renodr. Both Thunderbird and Firefox fail in the same way.
> >
> > if this can be of interest to you: at least for FF, the working version
> > of cbindgen can be found in one or the other of these two files:
> >
> > taskcluster/scripts/misc/build-cbindgen.sh
> > build/moz.configure/bindgen.configure
> >
> > cheers
> > -g
>
> From memory, the bindgen.configure specified the *minimum* version
> required (it's one of the places I look to see changed deps for new
> non-esr versions).  My impression of taskcluster is that it's part
> of mozilla's infrastructure for its build machines.
>
> In any case, all configure-style tests for versions can only know
> about what was available at the time.  This sounds like a new
> cbindgen issue and I'll guess it should be reported to cbindgen's
> upstream.
>
> Glad someone tested it ;-)

So far, only Arch are using cbindgen-0.16.0.  They use it for
thunderbird 78.6.0 with rust-1.48.0 (and a patch to allwo that).

Fedora are also using rust-1.48.0, but in thunderbird-78.6.0 they
put cbindgen-vendor-0.14.3.tar.xz into the source and then build
with the bundled cbindgen, see
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/thunderbird/blob/master/f/thunderbird.spec

Specifically, at line 377 (blank lines removed)

%if 0%{?use_bundled_cbindgen}
mkdir -p my_rust_vendor
cd my_rust_vendor
%{__tar} xf %{SOURCE4}
cd -
mkdir -p .cargo
cat > .cargo/config <<EOL
[source.crates-io]
replace-with = "vendored-sources"
[source.vendored-sources]
directory = "`pwd`/my_rust_vendor"
EOL
env CARGO_HOME=.cargo cargo install cbindgen
export PATH=`pwd`/.cargo/bin:$PATH
%endif

More to the point, for firefox-85.0b4 (the latest) the minimum
required version is 0.15.0 so I suggest that we stick with that (and
rust-1.47.0) for the moment.  No doubt things might change when
firefox-86 betas appear.

ĸen
--
(The Balancing Monks) use small brass weights, none of them bigger
than a fist. They work. Well, obviously they work. The world has not