On 1/28/21 2:18 PM, Brendan L via lfs-dev wrote:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 11:22 AM Bruce Dubbs via lfs-dev
<lfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

On 1/28/21 10:04 AM, Brendan L via lfs-dev wrote:
I thought I'd also mention that for the instructions, it currently
explicitly sets runstatedir=/run.  You can have the same effect of
runstatedir=/run by just setting --localstatedir=/var.  I found arch
does this in their builds.

That puts files in /var/run which is a symlink to /run.  Better to just
go direct.

I think that's the normal outcome, but when I run configure on
util-linux with --localstatedir=/var, runstatedir is set the /run and
not /var/run when checking the config.log.  It also show /run in the
configure summary.

Interesting.  I checked configure.ac and see (with minor formatting):

# default for old versions without $runstatedir
AS_IF([test x"$runstatedir" = x], [runstatedir='${localstatedir}/run'])

# our default if $localstatedir unchanged
AS_CASE([$localstatedir:$runstatedir],
 [NONE:'${localstatedir}/run' |
  /var:'${localstatedir}/run' |
  NONE:'/run' ],
   [runstatedir=/run; AC_MSG_NOTICE([  --runstatedir defaults to /run])]
)

So it looks like a couple of ways to do what we want. The default for $localstatedir if nothing is specified is /usr/var. As far as I can tell though, nothing uses /usr/var although it does seem to be created.

The FHS does not mention /usr/var, so it looks like your suggestion would eliminate that as well as fixing the run problem.

What to others think?

  -- Bruce