On February 19, 2005 06:10 am, tom wrote:
> is this normal? it seems that I had to recompile freetype and fontconfig
> for kde to work.

It's been a known occurance for a while. I'm not sure if this got fixed in the
book yet. Basically what happens, if I understand correctly and somebody
please correct me if I'm wrong, you install fontconfig before Xorg (or
XFree86). So the X fonts are not available yet to fontconfig. When a
fontconfig app like QT and KDE apps try to use fonts things don't quite work
out.

I believe that was the problem.

The following will fix it too without reinstalling fontconfig. It's a matter
of configuring fontconfig after the X installation:

Add to /etc/fonts/local.conf:

<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF</dir>
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1</dir>

and run /usr/bin/fc-cache to update fontconfig's cache. KDE should work
properly now.

--
Gerard Beekmans