On Monday 21 February 2005 04:18 pm, Joel Miller wrote:
> Steven Pasternak wrote:
> > I just build an LFS 6.0 system (with some newer packages than needed) and
> > when I finally go to boot up, I get this:
> > VFS: Cannot open root device 'hdb5' or unknown block (3,69)
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option'
> > Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block
> > (3,69)
>
> <snip>
>
> Two guesses:
> 1) Udev is not starting up properly when your system boots and
> consequently you have no device nodes in /dev. There is a file that
> begins with a '.' that if left in the /dev folder will prevent udev from
> 2) You are using serial ata harddrives and don't know that newer
> versions of the kernel give Serial ATA devices SCSI device nodes (i.e.
> /dev/sda5). I know this caught me when I first set up LFS.
>
> --
> Registered LFS User 6929
> Registered Linux User 298182
I am using a UDMA-100 HD and in /dev, before I type '/etc/rc.d/init.d/udev
start' the only things in /dev are console and null, and after I type it,
there is a .udevdb folder with device names that have '@'s in them and are
longer. At the bootup, udev says that there is no partition on hdb5. Thanks!
-Steven