Joel Miller wrote:

Mukesh Kaushal wrote:

1) First of all you should not delete sources n build dirs of packages which u r goin' to use again later.

<snip>

First, please don't top post. See the FAQ on nettiquette if you have more questions. Second, you should always be removing the source and build directories after you are done with them with noted exceptions in the book of binutils and tcl (Note: That's to the best of my memory, if there are other packages then I forget them at this time). The book has specific instructions on when you need to keep around the build and source directories and otherwise assumes that you delete the directories when you are done with them. This is especially important for rebuilding stuff in chapter six that was previously built in chapter five.

OK I did follow the book and it didn't not say "not to delete gcc dir after the first pass" So i deleted them per the book which did state to delete packages after install.