On Sun, 22 May 2005, Ben Cools wrote:

I've read a lot about LFS by now and I am very enthusiastic about it.
I am willing to try making my own distribution, but I still have one
question left:

Will I be capable, at the end of the learning process, to make my
system auto compile itself, meaning: I put in a CD, I boot, I get an
installer like in e.g. Mandrake, the system builds automatically, I
can get to work.

Basically it means: is it possible to to let a Linux installer build a
system from scratch?

The short answer is Yes :)

Your buliding is a manual process. If all you need is to repeat those steps over and over again, yes surely you can automate that. E.g. you could take a look at nALFS.

In practice, however, if you want the "automated" process to adapt to different hardware, different configuration options, etc etc... yeah, it should still be do'able, just not so straight-forward as before :)

Regards,

.lzs
--
http://popoheads.com/~lzs/