Ron Keller wrote:
Following this message, the cursor stays locked in one position on the screen and I do not get a screen prompt unless I hit the return key. Is there some way to get around this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Nothing is actually locked, the kernel just printed a message to your screen. You can change this using the "dmesg" command. The '-n' option changes the level at which kernel logs are sent to the console. I'm not sure which level you would need to set to prevent these USB messages from appearing. You would have to experiment with it.

If you set the level to '1' (dmesg -n 1), the console will receive no messages except kernel panic messages. All messages, including the ones that aren't printed, still go to the system log daemon as usual.

--
Gerard Beekmans