On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Jens Olav Nygaard wrote:

> I have been lucky enough to have everything to do with local
> characters "just work" for many a year... But now I find myself
> having to look into this "locale-thing".
>
> My emacs will display special Norwegian characters in X for older
> files. But it simply ignores keypresses on the keys with these
> characters imprinted on them.
>
> I noticed that my installation has no directory
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale at all, but if I just copy this over from
> my old host, everything seems to be back to "just working"...
>
> However, that's good but not perfect, so I searched and found several
> 'locale'-directories on the new system:
>
> /usr/local/share/locale, /usr/lib/locale and /usr/share/locale
>
> When I list the contents:
>
> bombadil 5>ls /usr/local/share/locale
> af/  az/     bn/  cs/  el/     es/  fi/  gu/  hu/  it/  li/  and so on...
> bombadil 7>ls /usr/lib/locale
> C/                 ibm-cp1133/  iso8859-14/  iso8859-7/   and so on...
> bombadil 12>ls /usr/share/locale
> af/  ca/  de/     [EMAIL PROTECTED]/  eo/  eu/  ga/          and so on...
>
> I see that the second one most resembles the one from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
> on the host.
>
> So, now I wonder...
>
> 1) Who installs this, and missed it in my system? X? I could not find
>     any clues scanning the topmost levels of the LFS+BLFS books for the
>     term "locale".

 It comes with X - this is why logging what you installed from each
package is a Good Thing [TM] :)

> 2) How can I get this right? Has some part of my system installed the
>     sensible things under /usr/lib but just forgot to tell X about it?
>     If so, I guess I can just fix it with a soft link.

 X is a dog's breakfast of configure options at the moment (for pure64,
I'll be using three different lib options next build, to hopefully get
everything where it ought to be - two cover 99% of it, but getting the
libGL symlinks right needs a third which only affects them).

 My guess is that you've used a different combination of options, or
standard options in an unexpected context (x86_64) and X isn't smart
enough to realise where it put things.

 To recover, try a symlink from where the locales should be, to where
they got installed ?  If that seems ok, you could remove the symlink,
replace it by a directory, and move over everything _except_
/usr/lib/locale/local-archive which is where glibc installs its locales.

> 3) What is the best source of information on this?

 Voodoo ;)

> 4) What should I set my LC_*, LANG and similar (if there more) variables
>     to? I guess maybe I will have to figure that out from (3) above...

 Whatever they were before ?  Have a look at 'locale -a', probably one
of the nn_ or no_ variants.

Ken