On Sunday 11 September 2005 16:52, Christopher Reimer wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm starting out with an old Pentium 100MHz/40MB/20GB (a Fujitsu drive
> with Ontrack overlay software) laptop that's fully supported under SuSE
> Linux (the hardware, not KDE). This is my first time building a LFS.
>
> I'm looking for a boot disk similar to a Windows 98 boot disk that will
> get me started with setting up the hard drive and accessing to CDROM
> drive for the liveCD. I searched the archives but didn't find a workable
> solution. Does such a boot disk image exist?

You could try Smart Boot Manager

http://btmgr.webframe.org/

Which will run from a floppy and let you boot from the CD, but I'm not sure
your laptop has enough memory or processor speed for building LFS.

> Or would it be simpler to install SuSE Linux on one-half of the hard
> drive and create LFS on the other half?

If you have access to a faster box, have a look for the cross-compiling hint,
which explains how to use a fast box to build LFS for a slow box. Alot less
painful (-;

Cheers,

        John Gay