Ken Moffat writes:
> ... the kernel doesn't recognize the
> filesystem.  You said that you used the kernel from the live CD, which
> probably has a lot of things as modules.  Which filesystem are you using
> for hda5, and is it built-in to the .config ?
>  das eine Mal als Trag�die, das andere Mal als Farce

Ken,
Thanks a LOT.

I missed that my EXT2 was set up as module in the LiveCD '.config'.
(CONFIG_EXT2_FS=m, instead of y)

I know the book does not recommend the "canned" config (page 231), but maybe in
that paragraph somewhere it might be worth an extra note (warning) to the
effect that if you still want to do it, please check that your file system is
compiled in the kernel and not as a module.

Speaking of the book (6.1), there's a confusion on page 103:
'console' and 'null' are mounted twice and 'console' with different modes (622
seems to be the correct choice).

Thanks again,
mit hochachtungsvoll,
-- Alex