Niki Kovacs escribió:
Hi,
I'm actually in the middle of the first LFS book, somwhere at the beginning of chapter 6. I appreciate the quality of the doc: everything is well explained, and I just have to follow the book.

Just out of curiousity...

1) LFS/BLFS... is it just a "learning distro"... or is there a way to use it as a full-blown everyday distro? E. g. write a few scripts to automate the install process, which would result in something similar to Gentoo Linux (minus the "can't emerge" and similar hassle:oD)? I don't mind if the install process takes two days (to compile everything on an old Pentium II), as long as the result is rock-solid. I *think* so, but I'd rather ask people who have gotten more into it. 2) What's the release cycle of stable LFS/BLFS (roughly)? I'm rather suspicious of bleeding edge (since I use GNU/Linux for everyday work), but I'd hate to wait for 3-4 years (like Debian stable).

My (rough) idea for the future: put together two different versions of LFS according to my needs. One for server (without X), one for full-blown desktop. That possible?
Cheers,

Niki Kovacs
Hellow Niki.

In the Live-CD there is a implementation of nALFS which permits you to automate the install. But, I believe it's better to understand all about LFS to make, at least, your first LFS installation in a manual way.

I have a seven years experience on Linux. I installed LFS on my laptop (with X) about three years ago. Believe me: if you probe LFS/BLFS, you don't like any distro any more: all of them will seem extremely heavy and rigid. With LFS/BLFS you feel like at the wheel on a car.

I also admin a web/dns/mail/mysql server with LFS 6.0 (without X) and the response is excellent.

Un saludo.

J.C.