On 4/8/06, Paul G Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'd like to see some actual statistics of people who made it through
> cleanly
> > on the first try.
> That went very smoothly.  My recent experience with LFS-6.1.1 was again
> from cut & paste scripts.

I did also 6.1.1 from nearly cut and paste, and it went smoothly. I
was nearly disapointed : I thought I would have more problems to fix,
and I could show how bright I am :-) (joke)
Then a few problems with blfs, stuff like openoffice requiring ldap
from firefox, but no real big problem, and nothing that the couldn't
help with.

> IMO the book is very good, but it's not for newbies.

I was quite a newbie (at least I thought I was when I tried it) but it
went ok. Just a bit of logic : of course they don't tell you "unpack
this there" and "vi is a text editor". but all explanantions are just
precise and clear. I learned a lot doing it. Now I'm not a newbie
anymore thanks to this lfs !

And yes, a package manager may be nice.

Jeremy
--
Linux Registered User #317862
Linux From Scratch Registered User #16571