On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 09:19:53PM -0500, Colin Dean wrote:
> Well, I thought I had everything up and working (it booted, woot).
>
> However, I noticed that the first program to actually use
> libncurses--the kernel's menuconfig--was greatly distorted.
>
> Then, while trying to do something else (I can't remember now), I got
> this error:
>
> /lib/libncursesw.so.5: file too short
>
> I looked at that file and it was a symlink to /lib/libncursesw.so.5.5,
> which contained "INPUT(-libncursesw)".

 I've seen this (and a few other variations) when I tried to apply
the technique to clfs.  Some of the errors I've seen were caused by
thinkos in my adaptations (writing to a symlink overwrites the
target, it needs to be deleted first).  In this case, I think you
need to go back to chroot, delete any symlinks from this package
in both /lib and /usr/lib, and then rebuild it.

 So far, there hasn't been much reporting of breakages on the list,
so the LFS instructions are probably ok.  OTOH, for a lot of the
breakage I've managed on my own boxes, everything seems fine until I
try to build an aspell dictionary, so it's possibly that a lot of
the libraries from ncurses are not very used.

ĸen