On 12/18/06, Arden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After installing iptables and the personal firewall script, from blfs-
> book-cvs-html-2006-10-14, the console starts filling with output.
> About every 25 seconds or so, the screen fills with messages from the
> router.
>
> How do I keep the log FIREWALL:INPUT from displaying this?
>
> -from the network firewall script /etc/rc.d/rc.iptables
> # Log everything else. What's Windows' latest exploitable vulnerability?
> iptables -A INPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "FIREWALL:INPUT "
>
> thanks, Arden

This bothered me, also.
The trouble comes from the linux kernel's logging facility.
I think the default log level is 7, so messages with a higher priority level
( less than 7 ) get logged to the console. Unfortunately, the default of 7
is the lowest priority level. I took two measures to turn off console logging.

modify the klogd startup line in /etc/rc.d/init.d/sysklogd
so that the default console log level is not the lowest.
I used 4.

loadproc klogd -c 4

also, modify the iptables log rule to use a log-level of lower priority
(higher number) than the console. I chose 5. Others choose 6.

iptables -A INPUT -j LOG --log-prefix "FIREWALL:INPUT " --log-level 5

I believe FreeBSD logs all console messages to one particular console,
which is a nice trick, and something I should work to figure out.

~rick