"make[1]: Entering directory `/sources/perl-5.8.8/x2p'
makefile:159: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sources/perl-5.8.8/x2p'
make: *** [x2p/s2p] Error 2
root:/sources/perl-5.8.8#"

I am using an i686 and have followed the book (version 6.2) as should.
I got the same error ealier while running make for perl-5.8.8 (same as
the above) on line 954 and I fixed that one by deleting a 0(zero) that
was isolated on the line for no reason, but with this error I see no
problem with this line when viewing using vi:

"
lintflags = \
    -bhn \
    -p \
    -s \
    -Ncheck=%all \
    -Nlevel=4 \
    -errfmt=src \
    -errtags \
    -erroff=E_BAD_PTR_CAST \
    -erroff=E_BLOCK_DECL_UNUSED \
    -erroff=E_CONSTANT_CONDITION \
    -erroff=E_BAD_PTR_CAST_ALIGN \
    -erroff=E_PTRDIFF_OVERFLOW \
    -erroff=E_EXPR_NULL_EFFECT \
    -erroff=E_BAD_PTR_INT_COMBINATION \
    -erroff=E_LOOP_EMPTY \
    -erroff=E_TRUE_LOGICAL_EXPR \
    -erroff=E_FALSE_LOGICAL_EXPR \
    -erroff=E_INDISTING_FROM_TRUNC \
    -erroff=E_POINTER_TO_OBJECT \
    -erroff=E_ASSIGN_NARROW_CONV \
    -erroff=E_BAD_SIGN_EXTEND \
    -erroff=E_INCL_NUSD \
    -erroff=E_MAIN_PARAM \
    -Wfoo.flow
                                                           "

The first line with 'lintflags' is line 159.

PS: I am a newbie with posting on these lists, so if there is
something amis with my post please be specific when you point it out!