On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 04:30:34PM -0400, Baho Utot wrote:

> Yes it was a typo it was crt1.o and Scrt1.o
> What is it for?

 Google probably knows.  As far as I'm concerned, they are just
start-up files from glibc.   I don't have any interest in the
minutiae of the toolchain :-)

> I did some C programming many years ago on the doze platform and have some
> code in Bob Stouts "snippets" I just need to figure out how gcc and company
> works on Linux :)

 For released versions on common architectures (x86, x86_64, ppc(32)
maybe others) all you need to do is run it.  Seriously, it probably
isn't interesting unless you are deeply interested in gcc's internals.

 What you might want to do is become more familiar with config.log.
Most packages only create one of these, it's mostly only the
toolchain packages that also create them in subdirectories.  The
purpose is straightforward (detect the features on the platform that
make a difference to what/how to compile, and log the tests) but as
you've seen the output can be a bit overwhelming.

 While you are rebuilding /tools, you could take a look at
config.log from some of the packages to become more comfortable with
it.  I hope this time you don't have problems, but if you get a
similar problem *please* post the relevant error message(s) from
config.log.  Debugging based on hearsay errors is no pleasure, and
unproductive - sometimes you do indeed have to start again, but
other times only a few packages need to be corrected.

ĸen