Nicolas,

I'm not having a problem w builing ncurses in ch 5 or 6; from the subject of
your post, it seems as though this is occurring the first time you build it,
right?

The output logs from the last build I did show:

checking if you want to link with the GPM mouse library... maybe
checking for gpm.h... no

for both builds. It looks to me like you might have a larger problem; my
guess is that you're still using your build host's header files and
libraries @ that point.  See "5.7. Adjusting the Toolchain"; by the time you
reach first ncurses build (5.13) you should be using only the libraries etc.
that you've built up to that point (from 5.7: "From this point onwards,
everything will link only against the libraries in /tools/lib.").

Unless you decided to install gpm very early on I don't see how you could
have gpm.h, the gpm library, etc. at that point.

I would suggest checking to see that your build environment is set up
correctly.  Just a thought & I hope it helps.

 - Larry