Well updating GCC (or glibc/binutils) is not always easy. This is
because everything else depends on these packages. Updating GCC 4.2.0
to 4.2.2 would not be too hard. The difference between 4.0.3 and 4.2.2
may be bigger.
But you can try it. I've upgraded glibc before and haven't had any
problems so far. When you rebuilt from scratch everything is fine, but
it takes a lot of time (if you do it by hand and not use scripts or
something).
Another problem is you might have some old headers or programs which
were removed or renamed between gcc-4.0.3 and 4.2.2 and this can cause
some vague incompatibilites when compiling.
Anyway upgrading is easy for non-critical packages (these are glibc,
gcc and binutils). If you upgrade gcc you risk rendering your system
unusable, BUT I think you can upgrade to 4.2.2 without too much
trouble judging from the differences between 4.0 and 4.2.

Success!