The easiest and probably best thing to do (I do it ;) is to use
something like this in .bashrc for the lfs user:
cd $LFS/sources
sh stage1-static.sh 2>&1 | tee /mnt/lfs/sources/logs/detailed-stage1.log
exit

Of course your scripts need to be in $LFS/sources/[somewhere]. After
the lfs user automatically finished the static tools mount the virutal
fs:
su - lfs
mount .... (see the book)
chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ '
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin CFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS" /tools/bin/bash --login +h
/sources/stage2-wrapper.sh

This way the lfs user builds everything static, exits nicely if
everything worked out OK and your script is back in control. After
this, I execute a script (in this case called
/sources/stage2-wrapper.sh) which builds the rest of the system.