From: Andreas Hofer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 10:45:45
To:LFS Support List <lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
Subject: Re: Install LFS on Vortex86SX (486SX core)

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Install LFS on Vortex86SX (486SX core)
From: Wilco Beekhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: LFS Support List <lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
Date: Montag, 03. Dezember 2007 22:59:51

> 2007/12/3, Andreas Hofer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to install LFS on a Vortex86SX controller produced by the
>> taiwanese company DMP. Its instruction set is claimed to be 100%
>> compatible to i486SX, thus lacking floating point instructions and
>> anything beyond a 486.
>>
>> First thing I tried was boot the live CD on that thing but the kernel
>> crashes very soon. So I want to sort of cross build LFS for the
>> Vortex86SX on my notebook (Core2Duo 1.6GHz Ubuntu 7.10).
>>
>> Question: Is that possible and how? What do I have to do that the
>> binaries incl. tool chain will run on the target?
> It's not that difficult.
> First of all you probably need the math emulation from the kernel.
> That way linux can use the floating point instructions which some apps
> probably need.
> After that optimize everything for i386 or i486 (see gcc optimization
> manual) on your core 2 duo. The compiled binaries can run both on your
> core 2 duo and on your 486 so no need to cross compile!

But wouldn't some of the compiled packages eventually require floating
point instructions or instructions not covered by the 486 instruction
set if I dont explicitly specify that target cpu? How does the build
procedure of vanilla LFS know which instruction set to use and if
floating point instructions are allowed?

Cheers,

Andreas