On Feb 18, 2008 4:36 AM, Ag. D. Hatzimanikas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 17, at 02:16 Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > So, if you're using bash as /bin/sh, then just use ECHO=echo. Using
> > the builtin echo will be less overhead then forking /bin/echo every
> > time a message goes to the screen.
> >

> Talking about overhead, take a look at this snippet (1) for a shell
> comparison.
>
> My results are:
>
> bash: 43 seconds in el_GR.UTF-8
> bash: 26 seconds in C locale
> dash: 6 seconds
> zsh: 22 seconds
>
> 1.http://my.opera.com/atomo64/blog/2008/02/10/stress-testing-shell-interpreters

Interesting. For a while I had dash as /bin/sh and added a little
instrumentation to the bootscripts. It knocked the boot time from 18
seconds down to 14 seconds or something. Definitely not an
insignificant speedup. And that was with /bin/echo being called for
every message. Unfortunately, I had to switch /bin/sh back to bash
because there are just a few too many things that assume /bin/sh ==
bash.

--
Dan