Wit wrote:
><snip>

>> As an additional note, after running memtest86 for just a few minutes I
>> decided to try to build a 2.6.16.60 kernel figuring if I restarted the
>> "make" enough maybe it would build.  This time make ran straight through
>> with no errors. When the system startes having problems again I'll boot
>> to this new kerenel and see what happens.
>
> Golly, that sure makes it sound like heat related. Not ambient
> temperature, which would have an effect, but component temperatures. If
> you have lm-sensors installed, and an instrumented CPU (may be since
> it's not that old), you can monitor CPU temperature and see if that
> seems to correlate to problem occurrence. There are also some other
> monitoring packages available you might try.
>
> Most CPU literature will tell the acceptable operating ranges. If it's
> an Intel CPU, they run hotter than AMDs and use more "juice".
>
> </ end of core dump>  8-O

P.S. This is *not* indicating only a CPU problem, but just that whatever
hardware component is the problem, if any is indeed the cause, is going
from "cold" towards/above normal operating temperatures when the problem
occurs. Generally the CPU will heat the fastest under heavy load. Then
after awhile, others will get warmed up, depending on load on them and
ambient case temperature in the vicinity local to the components.

--
Bill