Success! Grub no longer hangs.

I reformatted the hard disk, installed Vector Linux 5.9 Light, ran zcat
on /proc/config.gz, copied the resulting file to a USB flash drive
formatted with the ext3 file system, reformatted the hard disk, and
redid the LFS project (I took the opportunity to write some scripts to
automate the process). When I reached Chapter 8.3 (Linux-2.6.16.27,
which is actually Linux-2.6.16.38),  I copied the configuration file
from the USB stick to /usr/src/linux/.config and, at the "make
menuconfig" step, chose from the kernel configuration menu the "Load an
Alternate Configuration File" option.

I still do not what caused Grub to hang, but compiling the kernel with
the known-good configuration file solved the problem.

Thank you for all your help.

Edward