On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:30:26 -0500
"Jordan Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:59 PM, TheOldFellow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
> > I've got a weird problem, I can't get to www.adobe.com, everywhere
> > else is fine. My dns server correctly reports that the IP is
> > 192.150.18.101, and I can ping it:
> >
> wtf?
>
> but none of my web browsers do anything other than time out.  Even if I
> > put the IP addy in the url.  So I don't think it's a DNS fault.  The
> > times are about right for US-west from UK.  I've even tried IE6/wine :(
> >
> what about wget?  try wget http://www.adobe.com/

Times out:
 wget http://www.adobe.com/
--2008-11-12 19:38:42--  http://www.adobe.com/
Resolving www.adobe.com... 192.150.18.101
Connecting to www.adobe.com|192.150.18.101|:80... failed: Connection timed out.
Retrying.

> Anyone seen anything like this before?  Where do I look?
>

> > I thought the rules:
> >
> > iptables -N INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> > iptables -A FORWARD -i ! net -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
> > iptables -A FORWARD -s 172.16.1.0/24 -i lan -j ACCEPT
> >
> let anything originating from the lan get out to the net, and then any
> > replies get back.  But I have so say iptables baffle me at times.
> >
>  I say flush the firewall config. and try again.

But is it the firewall?  I could hose that, start again and get exactly
the same thing.  I want to understand why.  What is so d...d special
about Adobe (apart from the building properties, that is)

R.