I've been at the end of Chapter 5 pondering package management,
and have finally decided to give the package user method a try.
I don't like overburdening /etc/passwd with a lot of junk entries,
but then the benefits look pretty good. In fact, it looks like
a good idea even if another package manager is used to manage
the installs and database entry.

One slightly confusing point, though, is why the package management
tools don't get installed using the package user philosophy. Why
aren't the tools themselves installed into the chroot environment
using the temporary tools in /tools? ISTM that the first package
to get installed should be package-user, not linux-libc-headers.

Is there some reason that isn't done, that I've overlooked?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.