Hi,
Sorry for not been precise enough.
I am running under Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron and I installed all the packages
needed.
This the error I am getting:

lfs:/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-2.18/binutils-build$ make install

make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-2.18/binutils-build'

/bin/sh /mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-2.18/mkinstalldirs /tools /tools

mkdir -p -- /tools /tools

mkdir: cannot create directory `/tools': File exists

mkdir: cannot create directory `/tools': File exists

make[1]: *** [installdirs] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-2.18/binutils-build'

make: *** [install] Error 2

It is the same for the other packages.

I found some posts on the net about the same problems but they all advise to
redo all the steps. I retried four times following the book religiously until I
found what I described: changing the prefix from prefix=/tools to
prefix=/mnt/lfs/tools  'cause I read somewhere that prefix needs an absolute
directory.

@kahlid: Normally, the book don't ask to launch the make install as
super user so I don't think it is necessary since he is the owner of
the files.

Thx for your replies