Updating the Live CD to use the sources and instructions for 6.5 "should" be
fairly easy.   Updating the running OS on the Live CD is another story...

I would think that all that one needs to do to update the instructions and
sources on the Live CD would be to:
1) save the ISO somwhere
2) delete the old instructions and sources from the ISO
3) add the new sources and instructions to the edited ISO
4) Hope everything fits...

The above assumes that the LFS Live CD is not stored on a CVS repository
somewhere.  If that is the case, then the CVS program would have to be used
to commit all of the updates.   CVS is would be a much better way of
tracking the LFS Live CD image anyway.

One should note, however, that I am not part of the LFS Live CD mailing list
so I don't necessarily know what I am talking about...