On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:14:37 +0100, Kyle Rush <k...@cyber-rush.org> wrote:

> I have a livecd 6.3 and book 6.3. the computer I am installing it on is
> somewhat old, and thus 1 SBU = about one hour. I can't figure out how to
> shut down the machine without losing everything i was working on. I do
> not
> know if this was covered in the book; i don't think it was. if i am
> wrong,
> say so and i will go back to reading the book. please help.

If I understand you right, you want to shutdown the computer while
installing LFS and resume the installation later?
There is a hint for this here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/stages-stop-and-resume.txt
It is kind of old, but the basics should still apply for newer versions of
the book. However, I have lost track of all the changes that were made in
the
past months, so I would not entirely rely on the information.